Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust
First Floor, A Block
London SE18 6QH
|Clinical Lead and Head of Nursing
|Neonatal governance manager
|Dr Sidhartha Paliwal
|Parent /Family Liaison Contact
|Louisa Mayfield, Michelle Johns
|Main Hospital and extension
|020 8836 6000 ext 4531
|Unit Contact Number
|020 8836 4531
See Unit notice board for dates
1 en-suite parent room for overnight stays prior to discharge
Parent room with kitchenette
Cot side expressing with side rooms if preferred
Our Trust has Local Neonatal Units (Level 2’s) at both QEH and UHL which care for babies who are born sick or prematurely from 27 weeks’ gestation with a weight of over 800grams.
The units form part of the South London Operational Delivery Network with clear pathways of care across the sector, working cohesively with the Evelina and King’s College Hospital Neonatal Intensive Care Units.
The Senior Matron and PDN are members of the London Neonatal Delivery Network. This enhances collaborative working with other Trusts, NHS England, commissioners and other clinical networks to ensure the best care for young babies.
At the Neonatal Unit, QEH, we have:
• A dedicated Discharge Co-ordinator Team who facilitate the smooth transition from the unit to home, especially for babies that require complex and/or multidisciplinary support.
• All our junior staff are encouraged and supported to undertake the Neonatal course to increase their specialist skills.
• A team of clinicians, nurses and allied health professionals who deliver dedicated and specialist care to our vulnerable babies.
• Senior clinical nurses who additionally provide practice development education, training and support.
• A team of consultants who will specialise in both Neonatal and general paediatric care.
• We have achieved the bronze level accreditation for BLISS and are working towards the silver award.
24 hour access to parents
From 14:00- 21:00 hrs for siblings and Grandparents
Flexibility on request
Faith Leaders & Chaplaincy
The Chaplaincy and Spiritual Care team offer spiritual and religious support to patients, relatives and staff whether they are religious or non-religious. They can also provide a supportive, confidential listening ear to those who are non-relgious who need someone to talk to
The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, across both hospital sites. The chaplains operate an on-call system so ward staff can contact them out of hours via the main switchboard at both hospital sites.
Among the team there are representatives from the following faiths: Hinduism, Christianity (various denominations), Sikhism and Islam. If a patient needs support from a different faith the team have good local links with other world faiths as well as non-religious groups eg Humanists.
The team aims to deliver consistently excellent standards of spiritual care. To achieve this they offer:
• A number of trained chaplaincy volunteers who support the work
• Bedside ministry (prayer, Holy Communion, anointing)
• Emergency baptisms or special naming and blessing services for babies
• Support to the dying, the deceased and their families
• Staff support, including training and arranging staff memorials
• Help with arranging emergency weddings or renewal of marriage vows
• Resources for patients eg Holy Scriptures, prayer beads, prayer
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Chaplaincy office location: Ground floor, close to the main reception.
T: Ext 6831 or 0208 836 6831 (an answerphone service is available on this number).
Bleep: 6370 for urgent referrals.
Facilities at Queen Elizabeth Hospital
There are a wide range of useful facilities at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, including places to eat and a shop.
Places to eat
Ground Floor, near West Entrance
7:00am – 6:30pm for staff
Monday to Thursday, 7.30am – 8.00pm
Friday, 7.30am – 6.00pm
Saturday and Sunday, 10.00am – 6.00pm
WHSmith – Newsagents
Monday to Friday, 8.00am – 8.00pm
Saturday, 8.30am – 7.30pm
Sunday, 9:00am – 7.00pm
There is a cash machine next to WHSmith in Main Reception on the Ground Floor.
There are a number of ways for you to get to Queen Elizabeth Hospital quickly and easily, including by bus, train, car or bike.
A number of buses stop outside or close to the hospital, including: 161, 178, 244, 291, 386, 469, 486.
Plan your journey >>
Charlton, Woolwich Dockyard, and Woolwich Arsenal are only a short bus ride away from the hospital.
Find out train times >>
There are pay and display car parks at the hospital. If you have a sat nav, you can enter the postcode SE18 4QH.
Car parking at Queen Elizabeth Hospital >>
There are a number of cycle racks at the hospital. You can view local cycle routes on the Greenwich Council website.
Cycle routes in Greenwich >>
Find out about parking at Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
Parking information >>
Plan your journey
Plan your route using the following free maps:
• Google Maps